Ven. Thích Trừng Sỹ
THE RITUAL OF EATING IN MINDFULNESS
PHÁP NHÃN TEMPLE COMPILING
Namo The Original Master Sakyamuni Buddhaya
(3 times, Bell)
Respectfully pay homage to the Buddha: The World-Honored One, the Worthy One, the Exalted One, the Fully Awakened and Enlightened One.
Respectfully pay homage to the wonderful Dharma of the Buddha, the path of practicing peace, joy, happiness, love, and understanding for the many right in the present life.
Respectfully pay homage to the harmonious and peaceful Sangha of the Buddha, the Community of cultivated people who vow to live their lives of virtue, meditation, wisdom, deliverance, and deliverance with right understanding to benefit oneself and other people right here and right now in the present life. (Bell)
With the virtuous body,
with the compassion mind,
now offering this food to the Sangha,
May the whole Sangha be well and happy. (Bell)
Before eating, please recite this poem
Today, offering a bowl of full rice
expressing gratitude to the Three Jewels, the Teacher, the Mother, and the Father,
thanking you, alms-givers for your donation.
We who vow to learn the Dharma of altruism and reciprocation
are grateful to fellow sentient beings,
always remember to be forever grateful to all beings.
Three Topics silently reading for the three first eating spoons
Three topics we try to practice:
First, vow not to do evil
Second, vow to do good
Third, vow to help sentient beings
In this life, may we become awakened ones quickly
Bodhi, enlightenment, and human beings returns together
Compassion and wisdom are interrelated,
Wholeheartedly learn and cultivate all sides of peace and joy.
Contemplate and recite the Five Contemplations
1. This food is a gift of the earth, the sky, numerous living beings, much hard and loving work
2. May we eat with mindfulness and gratitude to deserve to receive this food.
3. When eating, may we remember to recognize and transform unwholesome mental formations, especially the habit of eating without moderation.
4. May we vow to eat with loving-kindness and compassion to reduce the suffering of all living things and living beings, to protect the earth, and put an end to the causes of abnormal climate change.
5. For we want to build up the Sangha, nurture brotherhood and sisterhood and the aspiration to help life, we would like to receive this food. Remember that the food and drink are very effective medicines to heal and nourish the body from illness, hungriness, thirstiness, and emaciation.
While eating a mindful meal, a representative Master of the Sangha invites everyone to repeat Namo Buddhaya loudly: “I would like to invite the whole Sangha to have the mindful meal.” The whole Sangha reply together: “Namo Buddhaya.”
Sharing the Merit
May the merit of cultivation today
Be direct toward all living things and living beings
We and human beings
Can realize the Buddha’s way together.
Sadhu, lành thay, well-done, and excellence.
Facebook Comments Box