Namo the Original Master Shakyamuni Buddhaya
Dear Dharma Sisters and Brothers,
When happily receiving the invitation from the two Christian priests Laura Haywood and Diania Garcia, Venerable Thích Trừng Sỹ, the Abbot of Pháp Nhãn Temple in Austin, Texas, went to a Church in the City of San Marcos, Texas, for sharing meditation practice, meditation songs, and the Dharma talk shortly titled “The Practice of the Noble Eighfold Path”
I would like to invite you all to read and see the pictures of the following activities happily.
The Noble Eightfold Path consists of Right View, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration and Meditation.
1. Right View: When we practice Right View, we can recognize suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path leading to the cessation of suffering. When we recognize them well, we can transform them into peace, joy, and happiness in the present life.
2. Right Thought: When we practice Right Thought, we can keep away from attachment and craving by practicing loving-kindness, compassion, and wisdom together.
3. Right Speech: When we practice Right Speech, we can avoid telling lies, slander, and verbal violence.
4. Right Action: When we practice Right Action, we can avoid killing lives, taking what is not given, doing sexual misconduct, and avoid taking alcohol, drugs, and narcotics.
5. Right Livelihood: When we practice Right Livelihood, we can avoid trading human beings, wild animals, drugs, narcotics, and weapons.
6. Right Effort: When we practice Right Effort, we can do something wholesome, say something wholesome, and think about something wholesome in the Morning, in the Afternoon, and in the Evening. Not to do evil, to do good, and to purify one’s mind. This is the teaching of the Buddha (Dhammapada Verse 183).
7. Right Mindfulness: When we practice Right Mindfulness, we can recognize and be aware of what is happening around us. Do something good for you, for your loved ones, and for everybody. Don’t do something evil for anywhere, anything, and anybody.
8. Right Concentration and Meditation: When we practice Right Concentration and Meditation, we have the minds of peace, joy, happiness, purification, and tranquility.
Finally, through the Dharma talk presented and shared to you today, the Noble Eightfold Path we can practice and apply into our daily lives gradually, we hope we can bring peace, joy, harmony, happiness, love, and understanding for ourselves and for others right here and right now in the present life.
Indeed, as good practitioners, we vow to practice the good teachings to help living beings.
Sentient beings are numberless, we vow to save them all.
Defilements are endless, we vow to transform them all.
Dharma cultivation is countless, we vow to practice it well.
The Noble Eightfold path is supreme, we vow to realize it.
Now I would to like to sing the Compassion Song.
My sisters, I am here for you.
Everybody is very happy.
Many in one, we are same family
Very healthy, we live so peacefully.
My brothers, I am here for you.
Everybody is very happy.
Many in one, we’re living on the earth
Very healthy, we sing song happily. (3 times)
By Thích Trừng Sỹ
May you be well
May you be happy
May you be healthy
May you be peaceful
May all living things and living beings on earth be well and happy and be freed from desire, anger, delusion, ignorance, hatred, violence, and suffering.
Thank you so much for your kind and nice listening.
Also in the same activities, the previous time, the Christian priests took a couple of people to Phap Nhan Buddhist Temple to practice walking meditation, sitting meditation, and singing meditation songs.